19 May 2011

Acadian Flycatcher & warbs

The best bird at Emma McCarthy Lee Park in Ames this morning was a singing ACADIAN FLYCATCHER.  I wondered if I would find one there this spring but I wasn't betting on it.  I even toyed around and recorded it via my phone.

Otherwise, I tallied 15 species of warblers and 5 species of vireos:

Northern Parula
Orange-crowned Warbler (1)
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush (1)
Mourning Warbler (2, 1 singing)
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's Warbler
Canada Warbler (5, 1 has been singing constantly from the same spot for more than a week now)


Vireos:
Red-eyed, Philadelphia (1), Warbling, Yellow-throated, and Blue-headed Vireo (1).



Also Swainson's Thrush (4)

Here is one of the MOURNING WARBLERS from this morning:


We're only 10 or so days away from this ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER being on the late-side:

The park has been very reliable for PHILADELPHIA VIREOS this spring.  Here is another one: