14 May 2010

Whimbrel n' Warbs

While working near Crescent Lake this morning, I stumbled on my first WHIMBREL for Nebraska:

Ever wonder what a cold LONG-BILLED CURLEW looks like? Well, the snowy morning a couple days ago gave me an idea:

Since then, it has warmed up a little and brought in some new migrants like this female BLACKPOLL WARBLER:

... and several male BLACKPOLL WARBLERS. Here is one of them:

Also, my first VEERY sighting for the refuge:

The RED-NECKED PHALAROPES have arrived as well. Here are a few mixed in with the WILSON'S:

In total, I've come across 8 warbler species:

Tennessee
Blackpoll
Yellow
Orange-crowned
Yellow-rumped
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Northern Waterthrush

Also 9 sparrow species:

Harris's
White-crowned
Chipping
Clay-colored
Vesper
Lark
Grasshopper
Savannah
Lincoln's

This morning, I had a lone DICKCISSEL flying north.

The LAZULI BUNTING and BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS are still present at my feeders as well.