02 July 2014

Fantastic Mr. Fox

It's now July and it won't be long before we start seeing sure signs of fall shorebird migration.  In the meantime, the local species are still providing us with entertainment.  For example, here is one of the local GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCHES with a mouth full of nesting material.  Which one of us looked goofier that day is debatable:
I've never seen such a tame ARCTIC FOX in my life.  This particular one was laying out on a rock at Reef Point and just didn't seem to mind us at all.  I cropped the photo a bit but not by much!  Fantastic.
Yep, the thousands of LEAST AUKLETS that nest in the boulders at Antone Wall aren't going anywhere soon.  This is the most abundant species of auklet on St. Paul Island:
I've wanted to get this shot of a PARAKEET AUKLET for some time; something about that super sharp lower mandible is fascinating to me:
Not to be outdone, the LEAST AUKLETS are vociferous as always:
OOOHH, THERE'S A RARE BUNTING... or... no.. wait wait.. that's a young LAPLAND LONGSPUR.  Best we get used to these weirdos now that the young of this year have fledged:
Nothing like the wildflower-ladened view towards the High Cliffs from SW Point.  Note the typical mist enshrouding the upper reaches of this Bering Sea island:
I think I've shared this before but if not, be sure to check here for a more complete rundown of bird sightings and rarities.

I'll try to post some more pictures in a couple of days so be sure to check back in.  Happy July everyone...