05 September 2009

More migration - 5 Sep. 09

Although I haven't had much chance to actually get out and bird lately, I did sneak away today. Nothing earth-shattering but I thought I'd share a few pics.

Here is a nice male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER from Polk County this morning:

Speaking of Golden-winged Warblers, Ashley spotted one from the yard yesterday!

Here is a BAY-BREASTED WARBLER from this morning. Terrible pic, huh? But trust me, we saw it much better than this!

In summary, we had 10 species of warblers including:
Golden-winged Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Ovenbird
Mourning Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
American Redstart


We also had 9 species of shorebirds including:
Sanderling (1)
Baird's Sandpiper (4)


Some more random sightings included:
Capsian Tern (6)
Forster's Tern (4)
American White Pelicans (500+)
Olive-sided Flycatcher (1)

On an interesting note, I managed a pic of a new dragonfly for me, a SHADOW DARNER:

This was a beauty, a winter-form QUESTION MARK: