28 August 2009

Warblers - 28 Aug. 2009

Although I don't have much in the way of photographs from the last couple days (it's been raining almost constantly!), I thought I'd give a quick update on some of the migrants I've seen here in central Iowa.

First off, my yard in west Ames has been surprisingly productive. So far I've had 11 warbler species:

Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
"Bay-poll" Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
American Redstart
Northern Waterthrush
Mourning Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Canada Warbler

Three other warblers that I haven't had in the yard yet but DID see this morning in Ames included:
Blackburnian
Golden-winged Warbler
Ovenbird

The yard has also produced these other migrants:
Least Flycatcher
"Traill's" Flycatcher
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Veery
Swainson's Thrush

Pretty fun time to bird central Iowa! Or maybe I'm just overexcited to see "eastern" warblers (considering I don't see too many during my field work in Nebraska).